The full explanation was published in the April 2004 issue of Aquarian Times. So I am re-typing up the article from there.
Yogi Bhajan’s Avocado Sandwich Diet
In ancient times, yogis learned how to use food to heal and balance the body, mind and spirit. One common technique that comes to us from this timeless tradition is the mono diet. A mono diet is a diet made up of one or more food that remains the same for each meal, for a limited period of time, to produce a specific effect.
The Avocado Sandwich Diet is said to rejuvenate every cell, reduce weight, balance minerals, cleanse and strengthen internal organs, renew and increase energy, cleanse the aura and emotions, regulate the thyroid and the liver, and replace worry and agitation with calm stability.
For the first nine days of the diet:
1. Buy uncut sour dough bread and cut the crust off the ends, the top, bottom and sides of the loaf.
2. Then cut the crusts into sandwich sized pieces. This is what you use to make your OPEN-FACED sandwiches. Do not use the bread, only the crust. You may toast the crust for variation. For freshness, you can wait and cut the crusts off when you are ready to make a sandwich.
(EOKK NOTES: Open-faced means you put the following ingredients on the top of one slice of the crust. But you don’t actually sandwich the ingredients between two slices. Many of us have found that buying sour dough dinner rolls is a simpler way to do this. You slice the dinner roll in half, then scoop out the bread so that you are left with two crust-only shells of the dinner roll to use.)
2. Slice or mash 1 small or medium avocado and add sliced tomatoes and thinly sliced raw onion. If you are sensitive to raw onions, slice them paper thin.
3. Eat as many as 4 avocados per day. Your body will eventually adjust and regulate your intake. Ideal for weight loss are 2 avocados or less per day.
(EOKK NOTE: I am loosing weight doing it with 3 medium avocados per day – so you don’t have to punish yourself for this to work.)
4. Do not add salt or pepper.
5. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day.
(EOKK NOTE: This is half a gallon of water. REALLY important because you may find yourself thirsty and cotton-mouthed when doing this mono diet.)
6. You may add Yogi Tea classic with no sweeteners or milk to this diet.
7. If you crave something sweet, you may have a few raisins.
(EOKK NOTE: Wow – I wish I had remembered that when I was craving my chocolate chip cookies.)
Expect the first week to be a little mentally challenging. It is important to mix every bite with saliva, eat slowly and chew well for a feeling of satisfaction and for proper elimination. It is important not to cheat on this diet, or you could end up actually gaining weight.
After the first nine days:
1. You may add several more foods. You may add up to 1 tablespoon of goat cheese per meal.
2. You may also have a serving of alkaline fruit, such as cherries, plums, apricots or fresh figs in the morning instead of the sandwich.
3. You can add up to 1 cup of one of the following juices per day: pomegranate, carrot, apple, apricot or papaya. The juice may be taken in the morning and in small amounts throughout the day, but take the same kind of juice for the whole day – don’t mix them. You can also put some juice in your Yogi Tea.
4. Add up to one tablespoon of liquid chlorophyll to a glass of water. The chlorophyll helps neutralize any body odor that may come with the cleansing your body is doing.
5. Do not add any other vegetables.
If this diet sounds good to you, you will be happy to know that it has been shown that following it for a period of anywhere from two weeks to two months has effectively improved health and reduced weight.
(EOKK NOTE: Lost in the 3 pounds in the first week. And the sandwiches are TASTY!)
All teachings, yoga sets, techniques, kriyas and meditations courtesy of The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan. Reprinted with permission. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. No part of these Teachings may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying and recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, except as may be expressly permitted in writing by the The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan. To request permission, please write to KRI at PO Box 1819, Santa Cruz, NM 87567 or see www.kriteachings.org.