Many of us have practiced various disciplines of meditation. Sometimes, the practice can take such an incredible amount of discipline and intention that it becomes overwhelming. Having grown up practicing the mantras and meditations from the Kundalini Yoga tradition, I often felt that guided meditation was for people who didn’t know how to meditate. But then one day I realized I was rarely meditating. It felt like too much of an investment. So I gave guided meditation a try. It was so liberating. I found myself falling quickly into the meditative space without any effort.
If you are looking to find a way to gently and easily relax into a meditation any time of day, anywhere, I suggest you try out guided meditation.
Here are some tips for getting started:
- Choose a Short Guided Meditation
- For your first try, I suggest starting with something short – less than 10 minutes. This will give you a chance to experience the process without it feeling like you have to set aside a huge block of time.
- Find One that Fits Your Intention
- There are lots of guided meditations out there. Find one that fits your need now – whether it’s to relieve anxiety, heal emotional pain, prepare for deep sleep, or connect with your breath, there are guided meditations for many things. Find one that feels right for you right now.
- Find a Quiet Place to Sit
- This might seem obvious, but finding a spot where you won’t be disturbed makes all the difference – even if its parked in your car.
- Check In With Your Body
- Before you start, close your eyes for a minute and check in with your body. Let your attention travel through your body so you can tell yourself to relax. Throughout the meditation, remember to keep your body relaxed.
- Press Play and Let Go
- Now you are ready to begin. Let yourself surrender and be guided through the process.
Try one of the Guided Meditations on our Spotify Playlist: