(Editor’s Note: This article is not just for parents, it is for everyone. The job of spiritual parenting is for us all…aunts, uncles, teachers, and special friends. Raising spiritual children takes a village, and we should all be aware of supporting and guiding the young through this changing time. Take a moment to read the following 10 Tips for Spiritual Parenting whether you have children or not. Make a choice to help nurture the children around you in a positive, spiritual way.)
Raising Spiritual Children
When I taught second grade, I had no spiritual tools except my loving-kindess! Having studied Kundalini and angels for 3 years, I now better understand how to help, teach and honor children.
Here are 10 tips for Spiritual Parenting:
1. Allow your children’s third eyes to remain open by accepting what they say. “Imaginary” friends are real, high-vibrational beings. John Mayer knows this. His song “Half of My Heart” says, “I was born into the arms of imaginary friends.” Those are guardian angels who are with your children from birth to death. Your children may also have other spirit guides, such as dolphins, fairies or unicorns.
2. Pay attention when your children say things like “When I was big,” or “When I lived in another house.” They are talking about past lives. If your child points to a picture of a deceased grandparent and says, “That’s me,” it probably is.
3. Teach your children to ask angels to help them. If your son can’t find a particular book, advise him to ask Archangel Chamuel, the finding angel, to help. If your daughter hurts her knee, tell her to ask Archangel Raphael to surround it with his green healing light. If your child complains about seeing people in his room or monsters hiding under the bed or in the closet, you should be aware that there is a possibility that there are real spirits around. In this case, give your child a bell to ring and call in Archangel Michael for clearing and protection.
4. Feed them high-vibrational food, like organic fruits and vegetables, fresh-pressed juice and raw energy balls. Your children may have their own ideas about this. Someone recently told me she had been a vegetarian all her life. I asked if her parents were vegetarian, and she said no, she had just refused to eat meat since she was a baby.
5. Introduce them to Kundalini Yoga to set their spiritual foundations so they do not become lost adults. Sing along to Snatam Kaur’s “Feeling Good Today!” in the car and at home. This meditation adjusts the brain and increases intelligence, and is appropriate for children ages 3 and up. Sit in Easy Pose with arms bent, palms toward the body; touch the thumb to the pinkie, then the middle finger, then the index finger. Flap the legs like butterfly wings. Chant “Humee Hum, Brahm Hum” to the rhythm of the finger and leg movements.
6. Build a spiritual children’s library. I love The Little Soul and the Sun by Neale Donald Walsh, Tiger-Tiger, Is it True? by Byron Katie and Yakov and the Seven Thieves by Madonna.
(Editor’s Note: You may also want to build a children’s yoga library. Click here for Children’s Yoga Books.)
7. Spend time outdoors. Nature is an important teacher and tremendously grounding.
8. Disney movies such as The Little Mermaid and Aladdin contain spiritual truths. For older children, the Zac Efron movie Charlie St. Cloud has shockingly accurate messages about soul travel and earthbound spirits.
9. Words have powerful vibrations, so be extremely conscious of what you say and teach your children to do the same.
10. Say the forgiveness prayers of Howard Wills together or of any tradition. Teach forgiveness by example.